Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Altec 806A diaphragms...WHICH?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Crazy Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2003
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok, I know I'm a total newcomer here and the solution to my dilemma might be ridiculously obvious, but here goes...

    I recently bought a pair of Altec 811B horns w/ blown 16-ohm 806A drivers. I don't know what to do about replacing these diaphragms! I know there is a wide variety of aftermarket and OEM diaphragms out there, but I don't know if any of them will give me what I want.

    I use tube amplifiers with push-pull triode-connected 807's for about 15W (occasionally softly-clipped). I'm using original 50's JBL D130's for woofers and plan to use at least a second-order x-over at 1000 Hz. Efficiency and midrange clarity are obviously MUCH more important to me than power handling. Are the new Altec replacements out there like the originals?

    The reason I'm gunshy about this is that I recently had a VERY bad experience with an original signature-series Jim Lansing D130 that was reeconed with the current JBL part...and it sounded TERRIBLE! Less efficient with a foul, harsh upper midrange. So I'm VERY cautious about "new and improved" speaker designs!

    Anyone out there that can help me? I've even heard about these Esoteric Audio diaphragms with gold plating! WHAT DO I DO?!?!

    Crazy Joe

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Wink

    Welcome to the world of high-quality audio!

    There is much chicanery and mis-information out there.

    Let me give it to you STRAIGHT -

    Your 806 was a smaller, less efficient driver than the 802, BUT it is still an EXCELLENT driver! For the BEST sonic performance possible, I would unhesitatingly recommend that you send the drivers to Great Plains Audio for a rebuild. They do not charge anymore to do the rebuild when you buy their diaphragms, and they will do it RIGHT!

    GPA is owned and operated by former Altec employees - they bought the Altec tooling when Telex closed them down, and make PERFECT replacement diaphragms for your driver! You will NOT have ANY problems with them AT ALL!

    The diaphragm I would personally recommend that you have GPA install is the same as it came with originally, GPA Part #34852. This is the same diaphragm used in the 16-ohm Altec 802-16G drivers, so you can't go wrong.

    A word about the "other" replacement diaphragms available out there - I DO NOT TRUST THEM! And, while it certainly IS true that you can buy diaphragms from lots of places, but remember this: if you go ANYWHERE else but GPA, you're taking your proverbial life into your own hands, if you know whatI mean..... forums

    Use Great Plains Audio - they will NOT let you down.

    Here's the link to GPA's website - check them out!

    Great Plains Audio Homepage

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Russellc's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    He is right, great plaines is the place to have them made right again. I sent them my 515 woofers and they came back like new. The most amazing thing was that they were only gone a week and a half! Talk about fast turn around...

    Good luck,
    Russellc

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Crazy Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2003
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gentlemen,

    Your support and expertise are GREATLY appreciated. I spoke with Mr. Hanuschak at Great Plains, an unbelievably friendly, helpful fellow. The units are in transit. I will give a full report as soon as I get them in working order.

    Thanks again.

    Crazy Joe

  5. #5
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thats the right move. Bill,s work is reasonably priced and his craftsmanship is excellent, and his parts are genuine!

    So, GPA is the move!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Mirrophonic Sound System's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2003
    Posts
    144
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Hi Crazy:
    Here's the rule-of-thumb for diaphragms: forums

    Must be pre-1978 SCREW-TYPE-TERMINAL forums
    Not later push-clip type terminal units forums

    Same applies for 288 diaphragms forums

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Crazy Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2003
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, it's funny you should mention that, because I've heard two diametrically-opposite reports. Some folks claim the old ones are better, but others claim that as long as you use the 'low-powered' replacement (in my case, #34852, as Mr. White suggested), the new ones are just as efficient and actually have better transient response. I haven't heard anything about the high-powered versions. Mr. White, care to de-bunk this as fact or myth?

    Crazy Joe

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm, when my older series alum diaphragms got popped in the mid '80s by a CB radio drive-by spike I installed the later 900 series with the push on terminals. They sound better, with more HF extension and ~112dB eff., so I don't understand the need for pre-78 diaphragms.

    Mine were originally 808-8As, but I don't see why this would make any difference.

    GM

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Mirrophonic Sound System's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2003
    Posts
    144
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Crazy Joe wrote:

    "...I'm VERY cautious about 'new and improved' speaker designs"

    Your caution is well founded; the best compression drivers were
    made before WWII !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.